For storing of a cable drum visual inspection should be made to detect any damage suffered during transport. Manufacturer’s seals on both ends of the cable should be inspected by removing the battens partially. The condition of armoring, serving, sheathing of the upper layers and the projecting end of the cable should be inspected for any signs of scoring, scratches, dents, mechanical injuries or leakage of impregnation oils. It the above visual inspection proves satisfactory the following special cares should be taken –
- Both ends of the cable should be protected from moisture by means of plumbed lead caps in case of PILC cables and sealed plastic caps in case of PVC and XLPE cables.
- The cable drum should be stored on well drained, hard-packed soil or preferably having a concrete surface which will not cause the drum to sink and so lead to flange rot and extreme difficulties in moving the drums.
- The cable should be protected from direct rays of the sun.
- All cable drums should be stored leaving sufficient space between them for air circulation.
- During storage the drum should be rolled to an angle of 90° once every three months.
- The cable drums must stand on battens placed directly under flanges. The drums should not be stored on the flat i.e. with flanges horizontal.