What is Thermal Power Station or Steam Power Station?
"A thermal power station or steam power station is a generating station which converts heat energy of coal combustion into electrical energy."
Operation of steam power station or Thermal power station:
- In a thermal power station, Steam is produced in the boiler by utilizing the heat of coal combustion.
- Then the steam of the boiler is stretched out in the steam Turbine ( i.e steam mover ).
- After passing through the steam turbine , the steam is condensed in a condenser to be fed into the boiler again. It works on a cycle is called Rankine cycle.
- Then the steam turbine drives the alternator which produces electrical energy.
- In a thermal power station , the heat energy converts into mechanical energy and then mechanical energy converts into electrical energy.
As the source of energy is heat energy or steam. So, it is called Thermal power station or Steam power station.
Different elements of thermal power station:
- Coal handling plant.
- Boiler house plant.
- Turbine house plant.
- Electrical plant.
- Condensing plant.
- Water treatment plant.
- Ash handling system.
- Station auxiliary drive.
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) of Materials page-6:51. The permeability and permittivity of a medium are
A) independent of each other
B) related by the atomic number
C) related by the Boltzmann’s constant
D) related by the velocity of electromagnetic waves.
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) of Materials page-5:41. Bakelite is
A) highly inflammable
B) low resistance conductor
C) a semi-conductor
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) of Materials page-4:31. Which of the following pairs is commonly used in thermocouples?
D) Silver-German silver.